nnovate or die. It’s the way of the world and engineers are the heart and soul of disruptive technological change. Without engineers we would never see a tangible product and our most extraordinary moments as a species (like the moon landing) would have never happened. STEM subjects are some of the best-funded degrees out there, and fellowships are looking to fund innovative individuals who are looking to pursue a career in engineering.
Engineering scholarships are some of the most lucrative and abundant out there and some even lead to job opportunities after graduation. If you are a female pursuing engineering or a person of color you will have increased opportunities as businesses are incentivized by diversity. Ready to make change in the world? Check out our list of the 50 best scholarships in engineering.
- The Regeneron Science Competition is the nation’s “oldest and most prestigious” science and math competition. The competition started in 1942 and high school students are encouraged to demonstrate science and math leadership potential.
- Pre-College, High School Senior Competition
- If you’re an engineer chances are you’re the inventive type. If so, this competition is for you. The Collegiate Inventors competition is a STEM-based competiton to help your take your invention to the next level. You’ll have the opportunity to learn how to make, produce, and market you’ll also receive mentorship through the program.
- Undergraduate, Graduate Competition
- The Davidson Fellows Scholarship award is an award for “extraordinary young people” who are 18 years and younger and have completed a significant work in the fields of STEAM including an “outside the box” category. Students compete for $50,000, $25,000 and $10,000 scholarships.
- 18-year-old and younger Competition, Scholarship
- Are you an Eagle Scout who plans to major in a STEM field? This award is for you. The National Eagle Scout Association awards one scholarship annually to an exceptional Eagle Scout. Applicants must submit a detailed essay about what they intend to do in the field of STEM and submit a recommendation letter from a STEM-field teacher.
- High School Senior, or just graduated One award annually
- This scholarhip and internship opportunity is aimed at students who are studying at Minority Serving Institutions. The program supplys funding for 2 years to students majoring or planning to major in the following fields of study: atmospheric, oceanic, or environmental studies or a STEM area that support these disciplines.
- Minority, College Junior 3.2 required
- The International Scholarship for Women ISW is for women looking to puruse a degree in the US and is available to individuals from most places across the globe. Eligible applicants are females from all countries across the globe except Iran who are enrolled in a full-time academic program. These scholarhips are available for undergraduate, graduate, doctorl, and post-doctoral candidates.
- Undergraduate, Graduate, Post-Graduate, Women All countries except Iran
- The Woodcock Family Education Scholarship program is intended for graduating high school seniors living in the Albuquerque metropolitan area. This is a $40,000 scholarship that is payable over 4 years ($10,000 per year).
- Dreamers and inventors look no further. This is a $40,000 scholarship for graduating high school seniors looking to puruse an education in the following fields of study: computer and information systems, engineering, engineering technology, management information systems, mathematics, natural resources and conservation and physical sciences.
- Graduating High School Seniors, Southern California Residents Seniors must plan to enroll in a full-time program
- The Woodrow Wilson Teacher Fellowship is an incentive-based program for STEM professionals living in Pennsylvania. The goal of the program is to attract STEM professionals to the field of teaching. Candidates receive the $32,000 fellowship as well as admission to a master’s program. Fellows are then place in at-risk public school settings to teach in STEM subjects.
- STEM professionals STEM professionals
- This scholarship is intended for students pursuing advanced training and research in the field of water supply and treatment. The Abel Wolman Fellowship is intended for doctoral students and may be renewed for up to two years.
- PhD students, Doctoral, Reserach For advanced research
- The Hispanic Foundation of Silicon Valley offers the Latino’s in Technology scholarship for college juniors and college seniors. College students should be in good standing with their institution and pursuing a degree in a STEM field.
- College Juniors, College Seniors STEM Degree
- The Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship program seeks to encourage talented STEM professionals as well as STEM majors to teach K-12. There are a number of tracks available including: rack 1: The Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarships and Stipends Track, Track 2: The NSF Teaching Fellowships Track, Track 3: The NSF Master Teaching Fellowships Track, and Track 4: Noyce Research Track. This is a $15,000 award renewable for two years.
- College Students, Professionals Teacher incentive program
- Are you looking to pursue graduate education in the atmospheric sciences? This is the scholarship oppotunity for you. The AMS Graduate Fellowship seeks to award students entering into a graduate program in the atmospheric sciences. The following fields are eligible for a $25,000 stipend: atmospheric sciences, chemistry, computer sciences, engineering, environmental sciences, hydrology, mathematics, oceanography, and physics.
- Graduate Students 3.25 GPA and greater required
- IEEE Life Members’ Fellowship in Electrical History is for post-doctoral research. This fellowship supports one full year of graduate work or post-doctoral research. The following areas of study are eligible for this fellowship: Engineering, Computer Sciences and Information Technology, Physical Sciences, Biological and Medical Sciences, Mathematics, Technical Communications, Education, Management, and Law and Policy.
- The James T. and Rose M. Perryman Family Foundation Scholarship is for high school students, college students, and graduate students who are interested in or currently study technology, engineering, math, or metals in a vocational school, college, or university.
- High School Students, College Students Trade school students are eligible
- The Jesse L. Jackson-Fellows Toyota Scholarship is a scholarship for African-American students who are studying a business or STEM subject and plan to apply their studies to the automotive industry.
- African-American, College Sophmores 3.0 GPA minimum
- This is a one-time trust awarded to students pursuing a degree in electical engineering. This is for graduate students only. Students must be studying at an engineering school in the US.
- Graduate Students Engineering school
- The Center for Women In Technology (CWIT) Scholars Program at UMBC is a merit-based scholarship for female undergraduates focusing on STEM. The following fields of study are approved: computer science, information systems, business technology administration (with a technical focus), computer engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical/biochemical/environmental engineering. This program is only for incoming freshmen attending UMBC.
- Women, STEM Subjects Incoming freshmen only
- The Mississippi Space Grant Consortium Graduate Fellowship Program is for any student conducting graduate-level research related to NASA.
- Graduate Students, U.S. Citizens 3.0 GPA minimum
- The American Society for Non Destructive Testing seeks to fund graduate or post-graduate students who are engaging in Non Destructive Testing research.
- Master’s Students, Doctoral Students Cash award to be used for research costs
- Filipino or Filipino-American students who are planning to major in engineering, mathematics, computer science, environmental or physical science should apply. The scholarship is intended for incoming freshmen who are enrolling in a four-year university. Recepients receive four $5,000 awards over the course of four years.
- Freshmen, Undergraduate 3.0 Minimum GPA
- This scholarship is for outstanding hispanic students intending to study engineering in the US. Students must have a 3.5 GPA, 1350 on their SAT as well as a 29 on the ACT. This is a merit-based award.
- Hispanic, High School Senior 3.5 Minimum GPA
- The First Responders Scholarship is intended for children of law enforcment who have been injured in the line of duty. Preference is given to students planning to major in engineering.
- Children of law enforcement, College Student Need-based and merit-based
- The John M. & Mary A. Shanley Memorial Scholarship is a merit and need-based scholarship located in Florida. Student located in the following counties should apply: Medicine, Law, Dentistry, Education, Ministry, Engineering, Accounting, Agriculture, Architecture or Computer Science.
- College-bound students, Florida residents 3.0 Minimum GPA
- This unique opportunity is designed for high school juniors and seniors who are innovative an excel in the areas of math and engineering. The participants tackle real world problems while under a time constraint.
- High School Junior, High School Senior
- The NACME Scholars Block Grant program is made possible through the NACME foundation who provides block grants to schools who in turn offers scholarships to black, indigenous people of color.
- Black Indigenous People of Color
- The National GEM Consortium Fellows allows graduate students from underrepresented populations puruse graduate-level programming in engineering. If you are a technical student with a diverse background then this is the fellowship for you. GEM provides the following fellowship opportunities: MS Engineering, Ph.D. Engineering and Ph.D. Science.
- Graduate Student, Minority, Diverse Student, PhD Fellowships
- The Two Ten Higher Education Scholarship is a need based scholarship for students enrolled either in a two or four year college. Parents of students must have worked in the footwear industry. The scholarship is for up to $4,000 and may be renewed for four years.
- US Citizen, 2 years in footwear industry Renewable
- The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence Education Program is a nomination based and for highly qualified individuals who intend to pursue reserach careers in the following areas: science, mathematics, and engineering.
- Graduate, Fellows, Science, Engineering Research
- The Roy E. Jorgensen is awarded to a college senior or graduate student who is enrolled in a school of engineering.
- College Senior, Graduate Students Maryland Residents
- The SAE scholarships are offered in various amounts to high school seniors looking to puruse a degree in engineering or in related areas. Scholarships range from $400 to a full ride.
- College Students Engineering majors only
- [email protected] Scholars aims to support future scholars in the fields of STEM. Sophmores, Juniors, and Seniors as well as seniors who have been accepted to master’s degree program are encouraged to apply.
- Undergraduate, Graduate Bay Area
- The Scarlett Family Foundation offers scholarships to Tennessee students purusing a business or STEM-field degree. Scholarships are for graduating high school seniors living in one of the 40 counties in middle Tennessee.
- High School Seniors Middle Tennessee Counties
- The John C. Lincoln Memorial Scholarship is for undergraduate students purusing a degree in the following areas: welding engineering (WE) or welding engineering technology (WET). The scholarship is for individuals purusing a 4-year bachelor’s scholarship.
- Undergraduate Priority given to students in Ohio or Arizona
- The AFCEA Washington DC Chapter scholarships are focused on graduating high school seniors in the Washington D.C. Metro area who are pursing a degree in one of the STEM subjects.
- High School Seniors, 2nd year student in a 2-year institution transfering to a 4-year institution washington metropolitan council of governments
- AREMA supports student who are focusing on engineering for the railway system. There are various scholarship available for both undergraduate as well as graduate engineering students. The amounts range from $1,000 to $10,000
- Undergraduate, Graduate Railway focus
- The ASDSO Senior Undergraduate Scholarship is a scholarship for undergraduate students focusing on civil engineering. Applicants should have a focus on hydraulics, hydrology or geotechnical disciplines. Related disciplines including any discipline with a focus on the design, construction and operation of dams.
- Undergraduate Dam focus
- The Catherine and David Thompson Space Technology Scholarship is one of the AIAA scholarships that focus on the future of aerospace engineering. The scholarship is for both undergraduate and graduate students and may be renewed each year. Must be studying a field in the astronautics industry.
- Undergraduate, Graduate, AIAA Student Members Aerospace, 3.3 GPA minimum
- The Edwards Lifesciences Foundation Scholarship Program is a program for high school seniors pursuing a bachelor’s degree in the STEM fields. This scholarship targets students from the following regions: Orange County, California, Salt Lake County, Utah, or Puerto Rico.
- Undergraduate, STEM Merit-based and Need-based
- The Elms College STEM scholarships are intended for Elms College students who are attending Elms and purusing a full-time degree in a STEM field.
- Undergraduate Merit-based
- The Google Lime Scholarship is intended to support the work of students with either visible or invisible disability. Qualifiying students may be enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, or PhD program in the field of computer science or engineering. US Citizens and Canadian Citizens may apply.
- Undergraduate, Graduate, PhD US Citizens and Canadian Citizens
- The Harlem YMCA bai Corporate Scholarship Award is for high school seniors residing in one of the five boroughs of New York City. Students must have an expressed interest in one of the STEM subjects
- High School Seniors 2.5 GPA minimum
- The HDR One Water Scholarship is for a grad student who is looking to conduct research in the water field. The American Water Works Association offers $10,000 to fund reserach.
- Graduate student Water reserach
- To receive the Helene M. Overly Memorial Graduate Scholarship students must be enrolled in a transportation-related subject such as engineering, planning, finance or logistics. This scholarship is awarded to women purusing graduate degrees in this field.
- Graduate Student, Women 3.0 GPA minimum
- The IFMA Scholarships are awarded to undergraduate or graduate students who are enrolled in a facility management program or related including construction management, architecture, interior design and some engineering disciplines. A wide range of individuals including veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Undergraduate, Graduate High School Seniors, Associate’s Students, Veterans, and Working Professionals are encouraged to apply.
- The Lockheed Martin STEM scholarship is for students who demonstrate financial need and who are apart of under represented communities. Eligible majors include: planning to major in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Systems Engineering, Math, Physics, Information Systems/Management Information Systems or Information Assurance.
- College Freshmen, College Junior, College Sophmore Renewable
- The NANOG Scholarship program aims to assist current undergraduate and graduate students pursuing a degree in the following areas: computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, network engineering or telecommunications (graduate-level only).
- Undergraduate, Graduate 3.0 GPA minimum
- The PHF Reagan Sloane Shanley Scholarship is looking to support researchers and applied scientists who would devote attention to hydrocephalus. This is a debilitating condition that has not known cure. If you are studying neuroscience or engineering and have an understanding of cerebral spinal fluid then this is a good match for you.
- College Students hydrocephalus focus
- The Rossiter Family Scholarship On Behalf of William J. Rizzo, Jr. scholarship is for women who are minorities and enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program. Applicants should be residents of Massachusetts and attending a college or university in Massachusetts.
- Undergraduate, Graduate, Women Residents of Massachusetts
- The NAVSEA Scholars program is intended for high school graduate who are incoming college freshmen looking to pursue a degree in a STEM subject. Applicants should be full-time students enrolled at a hispanic-serving institution, be able to demonstrate a financial need.
- College Students 3.0 GPA minimum
For Further Reading:
Do I Need a Degree to Be an Interior Decorator?