Few individuals see past the rows of goods in a grocery store, or plates delivered to their table at a restaurant. Yet the creation of food and food products has historically been one of the largest employers across the world. Today, agriculture as an academic discipline looks at elements like soil science, nutrition, and even branding. Agriculture of today is high tech, and very much a science.
If you find yourself drawn to applied sciences and the process of helping to create what we eat, agriculture may be a great degree for you. Perhaps the best part is that gaining an agriculture degree doesn’t have to break the bank. In fact, there are many awards meant as incentives for individuals to join the field. Check out our 50 best scholarships for agriculture students below today!
National Eagle Scout Association STEM Scholarship
- For high school seniors. Must be planning to major in science, technology, engineering, or math. Need a 1290 SAT or an ACT score of at least 28.
- High school seniors in STEM.
The Edison International STEM Scholarship
- For high school seniors in STEM. Must have a 3.0 GPA. Next application phase is in Fall 2020.
- High School seniors in STEM.
- There are several Boren scholarships and fellowships for undergraduate students. Their aims are to fund students in world regions that are vital to U.S. interests
- Undergraduate students that meet requirements.
National GEM Consortium Fellowships
- For students from underrepresented communities in STEM. There are several unique opportunities with their own requirements and deadlines.
- Underrepresented students in STEM.
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship & Excellence in Education Program
- For upperclassmen pursuing research careers in natural sciences, mathematics and engineering. Must have a GPA above 3.0.
- Upperclassmen studying natural sciences, mathematics, engineering who want a career in research
Lemelson-MIT Student Prize
- For teams of undergraduate students and individual graduate students with technology-based inventions in healthcare, food/water and agriculture, transportation and mobility, and consumer devices and products. Deadlines are in September and October.
- Undergraduate student inventor groups, individual graduate student inventors.
U.S. Stockholm Junior Water Prize
- For students aged 15-20 who worked on school projects designed to solve major water problems. There are multiple winners.
- 15-20 year olds working on school projects related to water challenges.
Clarkston Scholars Program
- For sophomores in Pennsylvania majoring in life sciences. Award is divided into two installments of $5,000 during junior and senior years. Includes mentoring.
- Pennsylvania life science students at qualifying universities.
National Potato Council Scholarship
- For a graduate student doing research that benefits the potato industry. Applications will be accepted in Spring 2021.
- Graduate students doing potato research.
Ernest F. Hollings Undergraduate Scholarship
- For undergraduates in applicable programs. Offered over two years of full-time study and includes a 10-week full-time paid internship.
- Undergraduate students in applicable programs.
- For students pursuing careers in the golf course industry, aspiring turfgrass researchers and educators, children and grandchildren of GCSAA members, and foreign students studying in America. There are several awards with individual requirements.
- Students who want to work in the golf course industry, relatives of GCSAA members, foreign students in the US
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
- For undergraduate students to pursue studies or internships abroad. Must be receiving Pell Grant funding. Next deadline is October 6th.
- Pell Grant receiving students intending to teach abroad.
Clair A. Hill Scholarship
- For California residents only, attending qualifying universities. Must be pursuing an undergraduate degree in a water-resources field. Must be at least a junior.
- California residents, undergraduate upper-level students at qualifying California schools.
Out To Innovate Scholarships for LGBTQ+STEM Students
- For LGBTQ or LGBTQ-supportive students in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) programs or STEM-related teaching fields. Must have a 3.0 GPA. Undergraduate and graduate students may apply.
- LGBTQ or LGBTQ-supportive STEM students.
Society of Women Engineers – Lehigh Valley Section
- For high school senior women intending to major in engineering. Deadline is January 31st.
- High school senior women pursuing engineering.
NPFDA Scholarship Foundation, Inc.
- For employees or children of employees of a NPFDA Member Company. Deadline is April 30th.
- Employees or children of employees at NPFDA member companies.
Association of California Water Agencies Awards
- ACWA offers this scholarship to California residents only. Must be juniors studying an undergraduate degree in a water resources field. Must attend a qualifying university.
- California residents, undergraduate upper-level students at qualifying California schools,
Dairy Management, Inc. Scholarship Program
- For undergraduate students (sophomore through senior) enrolled in programs that emphasize dairy. Majors can include communications/public relations, journalism, marketing, business, economics, nutrition, food science, and Ag education. There’s a $2,500 award, and a $3,500 award. Application deadlines are in late May.
- Undergraduate students in applicable programs.
FNGA National Foliage Foundation/James H. Davis Scholarship
- For Florida college or university students studying horticulture full-time. Must have a 2.0 average to apply. Next deadline is January 15th.
- Full-time horticulture students at Florida colleges or universities
Theodore Gordon Flyfishers, Inc. Founders Fund Scholarship
- For students in environmental programs including cold-water fisheries management, environmental law, and policy, fishery conservation, aquatic biology, natural resource management, and hydrology. Must have a 3.5 GPA
- Environmental students in applicable programs.
Leo Bourassa Scholarship
- For Virginia students with at least two undergraduate semesters completed. Must be majoring in biology, conservation, ecology, engineering, environmental science, geology, hydrology, limnology, stormwater management, water quality, or wildlife studies. Deadline to apply is in April.
- Virginia undergraduate and graduate students in applicable programs.
NDS Kildee Graduate Scholarships
- For the top 25 All-American contestants in the past three National Intercollegiate Dairy Cattle Judging Contests and the Platinum winners in the past three National Dairy Challenge Contests. For university post graduate study in a dairy related field. Students may apply for the scholarship in their junior or senior year. Applicant must be a freshman at a four-year-college or university majoring in Dairy/Animal Science with a Communications emphasis or Agricultural Journalism with a Dairy/Animal Science emphasis. Student must be planning on a future career in dairy journalism or communications. Deadline in April.
- Top contestants in the National Intercollegiate Dairy Cattle Judging Contests studying in applicable programs.
Norman S. Baldwin Fishery Science Scholarship
- For graduate students doing research that involves or applies to Great Lakes fisheries. Two winners are chosen
- Graduate students doing applicable research about Great Lakes fisheries.
Beulah Frey Environmental Scholarship
- For high school seniors in Western Pennsylvania. Students are chosen from Allegheny, Armstrong, Butler, Beaver, Fayette, Washington, and Westmoreland counties. Deadline for 2020 was June 22nd, applications for next year’s award begin in January.
- High School Seniors in Western PA
Folsom Garden Club Scholarship
- For California permanent residents or temporary residents of Placer, Sacramento, El Dorado or Yolo County. Must be attending a college or university within these counties, and funds are disbursed to sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Need a 3.0 GPA, and be majoring in applicable areas. Deadline to apply is in April.
- California students at institutions in applicable counties studying applicable majors
Jonathan Baldwin Turner Scholarships
- For University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign incoming Freshman. Awarded based on leadership, good citizenship, and scholarly achievement. Can be renewed three times for up to $10,000.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign incoming freshman.
Lois Britt Memorial Pork Industry Scholarship Program
- For undergraduate students who are pursuing a career in the pork industry. Ten scholarships are awarded. The deadline to apply is in January.
- Undergraduate students in a pork-related field of study
NDS Student Recognition Award for Seniors
- For college seniors planning a career related to the dairy industry or production agriculture. Awareded based on demonstrated leadership skills, student activity participation, academic ability and interest in the dairy industry. Universities can nominate two recipients. Deadline in April.
- College seniors in applicable majors.
CME Beef Industry Scholarship
- Must be a high school senior or undergraduate student. For any students pursuing careers in the beef industry.
- Students preparing to work in the beef industry.
NDS Merton Sowerby Junior Merit Scholarship
- For current junior students planning a career in the dairy industry. Should be studying or in Dairy Science, Agricultural Economics or Accounting, Dairy Genetics, Dairy Equipment, Dairy Nutrition, Dairy Feed or Pharmaceutical sales, Dairy Consultant, Dairy Extension, Dairy researcher. Deadline in April.
- Junior students in applicable majors.
NDS Mike Lancaster Sophomore Merit Scholarship
- For sophomore students who wish to pursue careers in the dairy industry. Major areas include: Dairy Science, Agricultural Economics or Accounting, Dairy Genetics, Dairy Equipment, Dairy Nutrition, Dairy Feed or Pharmaceutical Marketing or Sales, Dairy Consultant, Dairy Extension or Dairy Researcher or Professor. Application Deadling in April.
- Sophomore students in applicable majors.
Loren and Becky Roslund Scholarship
- For Gratiot County seniors. Preference to students pursuing agriculture, engineering, computer-aided drafting or related areas. Need at least a 2.5 GPA.
- Gratiot County high school seniors pursuing applicable fields.
ABC Humane Wildlife Academic Scholarship – Women In STEM
- This award is for women in STEM, including science, technology, engineering and math. You don’t have to be U.S. citizen to enter. Winners are chosen based on essays. The dealine for applying is July 1st.
- Anyone who identifies as a woman, women in STEM
Bradford-Sullivan Forest Landowners’ Association Scholarship
- For Bradford or Sullivan County residents who are entering a major in Forestry, Environmental Resource
Management, Agriculture, Agronomy, Parks, Environmental Education, or other related fields of study. Must be a high school senior or undergraduate. Application deadline is May 1st of each year.
- Bradford or Sullivan County residents entering or in applicable programs.
Harvest Land Scholarship Program
- For graduating high school seniors entering an agricultural program at colleges or universities. Must live in or attend a school in Harvest Land’s Co-Op markets area. Deadline to apply is in March.
- High school seniors entering agricultural programs in applicable areas.
Les Dames d’Escoffier Colorado Chapter Scholarship
- For women attending accredited Colorado universities. Must be in a food-related field. Applications are due in April.
- Women studying food-related fields at applicable Colorado schools.
MIT THINK Out of the Box Scholars Program
- For high school students working on research projects. Offers guidance and funding. Application deadlines are in the Fall.
- High school students working on research projects.
NDS Iager Scholarship
- For second year college students in two-year agricultural colleges majoring in dairy or animal science. Awarded based on academic standing, leadership ability, interest in the dairy industry and future plans. Deadline in April.
- Two-year agricultural students majoring in applicable fields.
NDS Maurice E. Core Scholarship
- For current freshman students at a four year college majoring in a dairy/animal industry related field. Awarded based on leadership abilities, volunteerism, activities and plans for the future. Application deadline is in April.
- Freshman majoring in dairy/animal industry fields.
NDS McCullough Scholarship
- For freshman at a four-year-college or university majoring in Dairy/Animal Science with a Communications focus or Agricultural Journalism with a Dairy/Animal Science focus. Must desire a career in dairy journalism or communications. Deadline is in April.
- Freshman in applicable majors.
ACF Barnes W. Rose, Jr. and Eva Rose Nichol Scholarship Program
- This award is for high schoolers at Albuquerque High School. Must demonstrate financial need and have a 3.6 GPA. Must be entering college into a STEM field.
- Albuequerque High School STEM students
IWEA Environmental Career Scholarship
- For high school seniors heading to college with interests in science and the environment. Must have a GPA of at least 2.5. Deadline for applying is January 31st.
- High school seniors
American Society for Enology and Viticulture Scholarships
- ASEV offers multiple awards to students pursuing degrees in enology, viticulture, or other essential wine and grape industry sciences. The deadline to apply is March 1st.
- Students pursuing degrees in enology, viticulture, wine and grape industry sciences
ASHS Collegiate Scholars Award
- ASHS offers this award for juniors and senior undergraduates who are majoring in horticulture. They must be in the top 15% of their class. Application deadline is March 25th.
- Junior or senior undergraduate students studying horticulture
Colorado Garden Show Scholarships
- The Colorado Garden Foundation offers several scholarships for Colorado students. There are different requirments for the individual awrds.
- Colorado students in applicable programs.
EPOC Environmental Scholarship Fund
- For Connecticut residents who are members of EPOC or direct family members of those who are. Must be a junior or senior in an undergraduate program, or a graduate or doctoral student. Must be in a major in the environmental field. Next application deadlines are in January-April of 2021.
- Connecticut residents in applicable programs
JVS Chicago Scholarship Program
- For Jewish students who have lived and/or worked in the Chicago metro area for at least one year. Must be upperclassmen in undergraduate programs or graduate students in “helping” fields (see details on their site). Ever year $500,000 is made available to award recipients.
- Jewish students in the Chicago metro area
National FFA Scholarships
- The Future Farmers of America offer several scholarships with different requirements for applicants. Apply by February 6th to be considered.
- Different awards have separate requirements.
- For first, second or third year students at a 2-year or 4-year college or university in the United States or Canada. Must be majoring in dairy science, animal science, agri-business, or other related majors. Deadline in April.
- Second, third, or four-year students in applicable majors, students at Canadian or US universities.
AASHE Sustainability Awards
- For individuals and organizations leading sustainability efforts. Several awards are offered with different requirements and parameters.
- Individuals and organizations leading sustainability efforts.