Nuclear engineering is more than about power plants. A host of cutting edge technologies are related to nuclear properties. And these specialized engineers find employment in a range of exciting roles. If you find yourself drawn to understanding how physical systems work, and can work for us, you may be a great fit for a nuclear engineering degree. Additionally, there’s high demand for nuclear engineers. And this demand has provided many financial incentives to individuals considering the field. In an effort to highlight some of these opportunities, we present 50 of the most lucrative nuclear engineering scholarships below!
American Nuclear Society
- For undergraduate and graduate students who are ANS student members enrolled in a course of study relating to a degree in nuclear science or nuclear engineering at accredited U.S. universities. Most applications must be sponsored by a faculty advisor of an ANS Student Section or Alpha Nu Sigma Chapter. Next application cycle begins in November.
- ANS student members, high schoolers, undergraduates, graduates entering or in nuclear science programs.
University of Florida/Dean’s Engineering Scholar/SAE Engineering Scholarship
- For any incoming Freshman beginning an engineering program at the University of Florida. Non-renewable.
- Incoming Freshmen entering University of Florida engineering degree programs.
Kansas State University/SAE Engineering Scholarship (Manhattan)
- For incoming freshmen entering the KSU College of Engineering. Must have a 30 ACT composite, a 3.5 GPA, and be in the upper 10% of their graduating class. Award is dispersed $1,000 a year for four years if awardees maintain a 3.5 GPA.
- Incoming Freshmen entering the KSU College of Engineering.
PENN STATE UNIVERSITY (PSES)/SAE ENGINEERING SCHOLARSHIP
- For students who have been accepted to the University Park Campus and will pursue a major in the College of Engineering. Award is $3,000 a year and can be renewed for three years.
- Incoming Freshmen entering Penn State engineering programs.
University of Texas at Austin/SAE Engineering Scholarship
- Must be admitted to the UT College of Engineering. Chosen based on SAT/ACT score, high school GPA, class rank, and essay. Award is granted at $3,000 a year and can be renewed for three years if acceptant maintains a 3.5 GPA.
- Incoming Freshmen entering engineering programs at the University of Texas at Austin.
$2,000 PixelPlex Bi-Annual STEM Scholarship
- For STEM, Business, and Economics students. Application includes an essay on the blockchain or artificial intelligence. Deadline to apply is December 5th.
- STEM, Business, and Economics students.
AAUW Return to Learning Scholarship
- AAUW offers several grants and fellowships to women returning to pursue degrees, certifications and more after a significant interruption. Deadlines to apply are generally between November and December. Check individual opportunities for compatibility.
- Women returning to degrees or certifications after a significant break.
ACF Woodcock Family Education Scholarship Program
- For Albuquerque metro area high school graduating Seniors. Must have strong (3.8) GPA and powerful math and science bonafides. Deadline to apply is April 2nd.
- Albuquerque metro area high school graduating Seniors strong in math and science.
Trythall Family Scholarship for Excellence in Continuing Education
- For undergraduate students that reside and work in Bernalillo, Sandoval, Valencia, Torrance, or Santa Fe. Must be 25 or older, and studying Healthcare, Education, Science (not a social science), Engineering, Mathematics, Accounting, Finance or Computer Science. Need to maintain a 2.8 GPA.
- Students 25 and older residing in applicable areas and pursuing applicable associate and bachelor degrees.
AFCEA Washington, DC Chapter Scholarship
- For students in the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments majoring in computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics, chemistry, cybersecurity, and management information systems; and command, control, communications, computers and Intelligence (C4I)-related fields of study including electrical, computer, chemical, aerospace or systems engineering or electronics. Deadline to apply is May 1st.
- Students in the metropolitan D.C. area studying applicable majors.
African American Network of the Carolinas
- For African-American students from the Carolinas. Must be pursuing a major in engineering, math, science, computer science, accounting, finance or business administration.
- African-American students from North and South Carolina in applicable majors.
Alabama Student Grant Program
- For Alabama residents to provide financial assistance for undergraduate study. Must have graduated high school or equivalent.
- Alabama residents.
Alaska Space Grant Program Undergraduate Scholarship
- For undergraduate STEM students. Women, minorities, and disabled students are encouraged to apply. Deadline to apply is September 15th.
- Undergraduate STEM students, particularly women, minorities, disabled students.
American Association of Blacks in Energy Scholarship
- For African-American, Hispanic, and Native American high school graduates who intend to attend programs related to energy. Deadline to apply is March 15th.
- African-Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans interested in energy careers.
Anna N. Dosen Serbian Educational Fund
- For students of Serbian heritage pursuing a science education. Must be a graduating high school senior or undergraduate student. Deadline to apply is April 15th.
- Serbian science students.
ASM Canton-Massillon Chapter – Freshman Scholarship
- For students in the Canton-Massillon area in metallurgy, materials science or other engineering/science degree programs. Must be accepted to an ABET-accredited College of Engineering. Deadline to apply is May 8th.
- Students in the Canton-Massillon area entering engineering programs.
ASNT Engineering Undergraduate Scholarship
- To encourage engineering students to pursue nondestructive testing and evaluation. Deadline to apply is December 15th.
- For engineering students interested in nondestructive testing and evaluation.
Bill H. James Foundation for Aspiring African American Engineers
- For Black engineering students. Must be entering the junior or senior year of study. Deadline to apply is April 30th.
- Black engineering students entering their junior or senior year.
Boston University’s Noyce Scholarship Program In Math
- For STEM majors and STEM professionals who plan to become mathematics teachers. Noyce Scholars at Boston University get 100% of their tuition paid, a master’s degree and an initial teacher licensure, as well as job-placement assistance. Must have an undergraduate degree in mathematics or related field, be a legal US resident, and agree to teach for two years in a high-need district,
- STEM majors and other professionals who want to become mathematics teachers.
CGCS-Bernard Harris Scholarship Program
- For minority students in STEM. Deadline to apply is May 4th.
- Minority students in STEM.
Chicago Engineers Foundation Awards for Graduating HS Seniors
- For high school seniors preparing to enter engineering degree programs in Chicago. Deadline to apply is April 15th.
- High School Seniors entering engineering programs in Chicago.
Collabera STEM Scholarship
- For STEM students who are women. Must have a 3.0 GPA. Deadline to apply is April 30th.
- Female STEM students.
Davidson Fellows Scholarship
- For students 18 and younger that have done something remarkable in categories including: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Literature, Music, Philosophy and Outside the Box. Deadline to apply is February 12th.
- Students 18 and under who have made a great contribution to their field of choice.
Elms College STEM Scholarships
- For full-time Elms College students in STEM majors. Must show financial need. Deadline to apply is February 1st.
- Elms College STEM majors.
NTAEE Energy Engineering Scholarship
- For students pursuing or entering into energy engineering, energy management or energy technology-related degrees. Deadline to apply is March 31st.
- Students in energy engineering, energy management or energy technology-related fields.
- For High School Seniors from applicable areas across the country that will enroll in engineering Bachelor programs (see site for details). Must have a 3.5 GPA and high standardized test scores. Deadline to apply is August 14th.
- Graduating Hispanic high school seniors from applicable areas.
- For High School Seniors from Fayette County public schools. Must have a 3.5 GPA and intend to enter STEM fields. Applications are due in Mid-March.
- High School Seniors from Fayette County public schools pursuing STEM degrees.
Gladys Carol Scholarship
- Awarded to High School Seniors and graduates, along with current undergraduates in or entering full-time STEM programs. Next application cycle begins in November.
- High school seniors, high school graduates, and current undergraduates accepted or in full-time STEM programs.
Virginia Heinlein Memorial Scholarship
- For a woman majoring in engineering, math, or biological or physical sciences. Must write an essay to enter. Deadline to apply is April 1st.
- Women majoring in engineering, math, or biological or physical sciences.
Yoji Kondo and Jerry Pournelle
- For students majoring in engineering, math, science fiction as literature or biological or physical sciences. Deadline to apply is April 1st. Must write an essay to enter.
GRCF Armando “Frank” Quaglia Veteran’s Scholarship
- For students from Kent or Ionia County that are veterans or family members (spouse, child, or step-child) of U.S. veterans. Must be attending an accredited four-year college or university full-time studying Engineering or a Medical/Healthcare field. Need a 3.0 GPA. Next application period begins December 1st.
- Veterans and veteran family members from Kent or Ionia County studying Engineering or Healthcare at the undergraduate level.
James T. and Rose M. Perryman Family Foundation Scholarship
- For undergraduate students living and studying within a 150-mile radius of Pittsburgh, PA. Must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or above, and be (or plan to) studying technology, engineering, math, or metals for college students and Welding, Machine Shop, Mechatronics (or similar), Networking, Automation, or a technology based trade school program. Deadline to apply is February 28th.
- Undergraduate students within a 150-mile radius of Pittsburgh studying applicable programs.
James M. & Erma T. Freemont Scholarship Program
- For graduating high school Seniors planning to attend HCBUs, undergraduate HBCU students, or graduate students at HCBUs. Should have a record of leadership and volunteerism.
- Current and future HCBU students.
JVS Chicago Scholarship Program
- This scholarship is for Jewish students living and/or working in the Chicago metro area for at least one year. Must be upperclassmen in undergraduate programs or graduate students in “helping” fields (see details on their site).
- Jewish students in the Chicago metro area.
National GEM Consortium Fellowships
- For graduate and doctoral students from underrepresented communities (see site for details) majoring in STEM fields. Application deadline is in November.
- Underrepresented graduate and doctoral students in STEM.
Loren and Becky Roslund Scholarship
- For Gratiot County High School Seniors. Preference goes to students entering agriculture, engineering, computer-aided drafting or related areas. Must have at least a 2.5 GPA.
- Gratiot County High School Seniors.
National Eagle Scout Association STEM Scholarship
- Awarded to High School Seniors.. Must be planning to major in science, technology, engineering, or math. Need a 1290 SAT or an ACT score of at least 28.
- High School Seniors in STEM.
NDSGC Lillian Goettler Scholarship
- This award is for a woman who’s a Native American student at the University of North Dakota. Applicant should be working on research that’s relevant to NASA. The application deadline is February 13th.
- Female Native American University of North Dakota students.
NDSGC Pearl I. Young Scholarship
- For students at the University of North Dakota. Applicants will likely work on a research project of NASA relevance. For women or those outside the gender binary that major in a STEM, and have a 3.5 GPA. Application deadline is February 13th.
- Female or nonbinary gender identity students at the University of North Dakota.
Iowa Space Grant Consortium
- There are a range of awards for students, researchers, precollege educators, and outreach affiliates. Inspect individual awards for compatibility and terms.
Auxiliary Legacy Scholarship
- For female undergraduate students entering or enjoying their junior year at a four-year ABET-accredited engineering program. Deadline to apply is March 1st.
- Female junior engineering students.
BMW/SAE Engineering Scholarship*
- For students pursuing an engineering or related science degree. Must have a 3.75 GPA and rank in the 90th percentile in both math and critical reading on SAT I or the ACT. Deadline to apply is March 15th.
- Engineering and science students.
- For engineering students entering their Junior year in undergraduate programs. Application deadline is March 1st.
- Engineering students entering their Junior year.
Maureen L. & Howard N. Blitman, P.E., Scholarship
- For High School Seniors who are ethnics minorities. Must have been accepted into an ABET-accredited engineering program at a four-year college or university. Deadline to apply is March 1st.
- Ethnic minority engineering students.
Xilinx Empowering Women in Technology Scholarship
- For female engineering students. Individual awards are based on what year of study you’re in. Must have a 3.0 GPA.
- Female engineering students.
- Awarded to five women that are US citizens and undergraduate Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors. Must be planning to study an ABET-accredited program in engineering, technology, or computing. Deadline to apply is May 1st.
- Female engineering students.
Barbara W. & Thomas W. Benko Scholarship
- For women in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Bioengineering, Energy Engineering, or related programs at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Deadline to apply is May 1st.
- Female engineering students at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Edison Scholars Program
- For High School Seniors from Southern California that fall under Edison’s service territory. Must have a 3.0 GPA and be planning to attend a four – year college or university to pursue STEM degrees. Deadline to apply is December 16th.
- High School Seniors in Edison’s California service territory pursuing STEM degrees.
For graduate students. Must be pursuing STEM disciplines at Ohio member universities. Minorities, women, and disabled students are encouraged to apply. Deadline to apply is in mid-February.
- For graduate students. Must be pursuing STEM disciplines at Ohio member universities. Minorities, women, and disabled students are encouraged to apply.
- Graduate STEM students at participating Ohio universities.
- Up to $38,000
- For undergraduate and graduate students. Must be pursuing a technical degree in an approved STEM discipline and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Includes summer internships and a commitment to work for DoD after graduation. Deadline to apply is December 1st.
- Undergraduate and graduate students in STEM programs.