We live in a time of constant communication. We’ve created more content in the last few years than the entirity of human history before. This means demand for communications and media professionals is unprecedented. These are also fields that allow skilled individuals to couple with causes or products they really care about. Literally every industry and vertical requires communications to some degree.
If you find yourself drawn to presenting information, educating, marketing, or generally mantaining relations with stakeholders for an org, a communications degree could be a great choice. And we’re here to tell you that attending a great school for communications doesn’t have to be a great burden on your wallet. In fact there are many scholarships geared particularly towards those seeking communications degrees. We’ve compiled 50 promising scholarships of exactly this type below. Enjoy!
AQHA Journalism or Communications Scholarship
- For AQHA members of at least one year. Used to pursue careers in news, editorial or print journalism, photojournalism or a related field. Apply during your senior year of high school. The application deadline is December 1st.
- AQHA members, high school seniors, interested in careers in news, editorial or print journalism, photojournalism or a related field.
Judy Corman Memorial Scholarship and Internship from Scholastic
- For a student interested in communications and media relations. Must be a rising junior/senior in college who can complete a paid internship at the company’s New York City headquarters during the summer. Deadline to apply is January 26th.
- Rising juniors and seniors interested in communications and media relations.
Mercatus Adam Smith Fellowship
- For doctoral students interested in political economy. Should be in a Ph.D. program covering economics, philosophy, political science, sociology, or related areas. Includes three weekend residencies and a weeklong summer residency at George Mason University. Deadline to apply is March 15th.
- Doctoral students in applicable areas.
New York Women in Communications Scholarship
- For women who are graduating high school seniors and undergraduate and graduate students that want to pursue or further a career in communications. Application deadline is January 31st.
- Women who are high school seniors and undergraduate and graduate students with interest in careers in communications.
JVS Chicago Scholarship Program
- This scholarship is for Jewish students that have lived and/or worked in the Chicago metro area for at least one year. Must be upperclassmen in undergraduate programs or graduate students in “helping” fields. Application deadline is February 1st.
- Jewish students in the Chicago metro area
Mercatus Joseph Schumpeter Undergraduate Fellowship
- For undergraduate students at George Mason University interested in political economy. Scholarship is $1,000 per semester. The next application cycle begins in the Spring.
- Undergraduate GMU students interested in political economy.
Mike Reynolds Scholarship
- For oustanding journalism students. Must be a sophomore, junior, or senior pursuing careers in radio, television, or digital journalism. The next application cycle begins in the Fall.
- Oustanding undergraduate journalist sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- For students interested in marketing. A range of awards is offered between $1,000-7,000. Must have a 3.0 GPA and a demonstrated interest in marketing.
- Marketing students.
National Press Club
- The National Press Club offers three distinct awards to high school seniors, undergraduate students, and graduate journalism students. Check individual awards for application components and deadlines.
- High school seniors, undergraduate students, graduate journalism students.
AMA EBSCO Marketing Scholar Award
- For marketing students and current AMA student members and members of an active AMA collegiate chapter. Lesser awards of $3,000 and $2,000 are also offered. The deadline to apply is February 21st.
- Marketing students, current, AMA student members, and members of an active AMA collegiate chapter.
NAB Pilot Awards
- For two undergraduate and two graduate students to pursue studies related to broadcast or media technology and innovation. Application deadline is in January.
- Undergraduate and graduate students studying broadcast or media technology and innovation.
AFWM Ford Emerging Voices Scholarship
- For women desiring careers in media. Open to any woman attending American colleges or universities. Next application cycle is in Spring 2021.
- Women pursuing careers in media.
BMI Founders Award for Radio Broadcasting
- Must be enrolled in a full-time or part-time at an accredited U.S. college or university and be between 17-24. Acceptable majors include, but aren’t limited to, broadcast and emerging media, broadcast communications, broadcast journalism, broadcasting, broadcasting and mass communications, electronic media and broadcasting, and radio and television broadcast technology. Deadline to apply is February 1st.
- 17-24 year olds enrolled in broadcast and emerging media, broadcast communications, broadcast journalism, broadcasting, broadcasting and mass communications, electronic media and broadcasting, and radio and television broadcast technology programs at accredited U.S. colleges and universities.
NBC Universal Scholarship
- To encourage undergraduate Latino students at U.S. post-secondary institutions with interests in the media and entertainment industry. Must have a 3.0 GPA. Scholarships are awarded in two $2,500 installments. Deadline to apply is July 22nd.
- Undergraduate Latino students interested in media and entertainment careers.
NDS Mike Lancaster Sophomore Merit Scholarship
- For any undergraduate student currently enrolled in their sophomore year at a four-year college with an interest in the dairy industry. Must have a 2.5 GPA. Application deadline is April 15th.
- Undergraduate sophomores with interest in the dairy industry.
National Scholarships in Broadcast & Electronic Media
- BEA offers several scholarships for students in any electronic media area. The top prize is worth $4,000, but there are lesser awards as well. All submissions must be entered by October.
- Electronic media students.
Education Fund of the American Copy Editors Society
- Scholarships are awarded to college/university juniors, seniors, or graduate students. There are no major requirements, but students should have a commitment to a career in editing. The deadline to apply is November 15th.
- Undergraduate and graduate students who want to work in editing.
Dairy Management, Inc. Scholarship Program
- For undergraduate students (sophomore through senior) enrolled in programs with a dairy emphasis. Majors can include communications/public relations, journalism, marketing, business, economics, nutrition, food science, and agricultural education. There’s also a $2,500 award. Application deadlines are in late May.
- Undergraduate students in applicable programs.
CSUB Richard K. Leffingwell Scholarship
- For students who want to work in nonprofits or public service. Must be enrolled at a California State University campus full-time. Preference given to military veterans. Deadline to apply is in May.
- CSUB students who want careers in non-profits and public service, veterans given preference.
Media Fellows Scholarship
- To give students opportunities in public policy advertising. Deadline to apply is July 14th.
- Undergraduates at American colleges and universities.
Pacific Gas & Electric Company Asian ERG Scholarship
- For college-bound high school seniors from a household that uses PG&E. All majors are eligible, but preference given to engineering, IT, business, environmental or energy-related emphasis degrees. Application deadline is February 5th.
- College-bound high school seniors who come from homes served by PG&E.
Valuing Diversity PhD Scholarships
- Intended to fuel diversity among marketing doctoral candidates. For African American, Hispanic American, or Native American applicants. The deadline to apply is May 4th.
- Native American, African American, and Hispanic American marketing doctoral candidates.
Leonard M. Perryman Communications Scholarship for Racial Ethnic Minority Students
- For undergraduate study of religion journalism or mass communications. Deadline to apply is March 15th.
- Undergraduates interestd in religious journalism or communications.
NHA Past Presidents’ Legacy Scholarship
- For students who want to become part of the hydropower industry. Must be current college sophomores, juniors, or graduate students with a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA. Application deadline is February 15th.
- Undergraduates interested in the hydropower industry.
William B. Ruggles Journalist Scholarship
- For outstanding journalism students. Must submit an essay on voluntary unionism vs. compulsory unionism. Deadline to apply is January 31st.
- College journalism students.
AXIA Public Relations Scholarship
- For students who are passionate about public relations. Must have financial need, and dedication to professional ethics and standards. Deadline to apply is May 31st.
- Public relations students.
Lee Thornton Scholarship
- For students pursuing careers in radio, television, or digital journalism. Must be full-time sophomore, junior or senior undergraduate students. Preference given to Howard and University of Maryland students. The deadline to apply is January 31st.
- Undergraduates interested in radio, television, or digital journalism careers. Preference given to Howard and University of Maryland students.
Nellie Martin Carman Scholarship Fund
- For graduating high school seniors in King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties in Washington state. Used to attend Washington universities and colleges. Students are nominated by their schools by March 1st.
- High School seniors in applicable counties of Washington state.
CME Beef Industry Scholarship
- Must be a high school senior or undergraduate student pursuing a career in the beef industry. Next application cycle begins in October.
- High school and undergraduate students who want to work in the beef industry.
Association for Women in Sports Media
- For women college students who want careers in sports media. There are 8 specific scholarships, and internships involve being placed with a sports media company over the summer. Check individual awards for terms and deadlines.
- Female college students who want to work in sports media.
Against the Grain Artistic Scholarship
- For Asian American students pursuing performing, visual art, journalism and/or mass communication degrees. Must have a 3.0 GPA.
- Asian American students in specific degree programs.
ARRL Charles Clarke Cordle Memorial Scholarship
- For amateur radio operators. Must be a resident of Georgia or Alabama with a minimum 2.5 GPA, and enrolled at an accredited institution in Georgia or Alabama. Deadline to apply is December 1st.
- Amateur radio operators attending Georgia and Alabama schools.
BECA, Inc. Edna R. Anthony Memorial Scholarship
- For high school seniors with GPA’s of 2.5 or better. Must attend a Historically Black College or University and declare a major in Criminal Justice, Journalism or Nursing or Healthcare. Deadline to apply is March 31st.
- High school seniors planning to attend HBCUs.
California Broadcasters Association Scholarship
- The CBA offers two scholarships for radio and two for television each semester. Must be an intern at any California Broadcasters
Association member radio or television station. Deadlines to apply in October and March.
- Radio and television interns at CBA member stations.
Lou and Carole Prato Sports Reporting Scholarship
- Includes an invite to the Excellence in Journalism conference. Must be a sophomore, junior or senior at the time the scholarship is awarded. For students pursuing careers in radio, television, or digital journalism. Application deadline is January 18th.
- Sophomore, junior, and senior students interested in radio, television, or digital journalism careers.
NDS McCullough Scholarship
- For freshmen at a four-year-college or university majoring in Dairy/Animal Science with a Communications focus or Agricultural Journalism with a Dairy/Animal Science focus. Must desire a career in dairy journalism or communications. Deadline is in April.
- Undergraduate freshman in applicable majors.
Asian American Journalists Association
- AAJA offers a number of scholarships, fellowships, and internships that may or may not be intended for Asian-American students. Deadlines and terms vary depending on the award.
- Journalism students, Asian-American journalism students.
- For black college students who want careers in journalism, media, and communications. There are several awards to apply to. The deadline to apply is in December.
- Black college students interested in careers in journalism, media, and communications.
National Association of Hispanic Journalists
- NAHJ offers many different scholarships for Hispanic students who want careers in English or Spanish-language print, broadcast, digital or photojournalism. There are specific terms and award amounts for various scholarships.
- Hispanic students who want careers in English or Spanish-language print, broadcast, digital or photojournalism.
Overseas Press Club Foundation
- The OPC Foundation encourages the next generation of foreign correspondents. There are 18 separate awards, scholarship[s, and fellowships students can apply to. Each have their own criteria and application deadlines.
- College students that are aspiring foreign correspondents.
Association of LGBT Journalists
- NLGJA offers four distinct scholarship opportunities for LGBTQ journalism students. Check individual awards for terms and deadlines.
- LGBTQ journalism students.
National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- The Emmys offer a wealth of national and regional scholarships for aspiring media professionals. Check their listings for awards that apply to you.
- Aspiring media professionals.
ARRL Foundation Scholarship Programs
- ARRL offers several awards to qualified students pursuing radio careers. Terms vary. Application deadline is December 31st.
- Aspiring radio professionals.
Certified Angus Beef Colvin Scholarship Fund
- For juniors, seniors, graduate, and doctoral students. Must be dedicated to the beef industry and be completing a meat science, food science, animal science, marketing, economics, business, communications, journalism, or other degree related to the beef industry. Deadline to apply is January 15th.
- Juniors, Seniors, graduate students, and doctoral students studying and pursuing degrees and careers in the beef industry.
Charles L. Hebner Memorial Scholarship
- For Delaware residents enrolled at the University of Delaware or Delaware State University in applicable areas (including communications). Must have a 3.0 GPA. Deadline to apply is February 28th.
- Delaware residents enrolled at the University of Delaware and Delaware State University in applicable areas.
CSUB Billy Cantrell Scholarship Endowment
- For undergraduate students studying communications at CSUB in their junior or senior year. Must be enrolled full-time, have a GPA of 2.75, and work or volunteer part-time. Deadline to apply is December 1st.
- CSUB students studying communications entering their junior or senior year.
CSUB Don Hopkins Advertising Club Scholarship
- For students at CSUB majoring in Communications; Business; Journalism or Marketing. Deadline to apply is December 1st.
- CSUB students majoring in Communications; Business; Journalism or Marketing.
AMA Social Impact Scholarship
- For students with leadership roles in AMA collegiate chapters interested in making a social impact through marketing. Application deadline is in February.
- Students with leadership roles in AMA collegiate chapters interested in creating social change through marketing.
National Press Photographers Foundation Scholarships
- NPPF offers a number of scholarships to photojournalist students. See individual awards for criteria and application deadlines.
- Photojournalist students.
NGA Foundation Scholarships
- NGA offers a wide variety of scholarships for students who are committed to careers in the independent grocery industry. Individual awards have their own criteria and application timelines.
- Students who want careers in the indendent grocery industry.