The field of education isn’t likely to land you in a position that makes big bucks. But a degree in education can lead to a lifetime of fulfilling, meaningful, and necessary work. Without educators, there’s no hope for the next generation. Teachers are also one of the few stable bridges between populations of disenfranchised youth and a potentially stable future.
This is to say, teaching isn’t for everyone. But if teaching is for you, you’ll know it!
As teaching is often referred to as a calling. And an irrefutably necessary job type that often faces talent shortages, it makes sense that future educators should get some help with obtaining their degrees. Here at DegreeQuery, we’ve covered a wide range of financial aid topics. And are pleased to note that there are potentially more scholarships available for future educators than any other degree type, great news!
Below is one of the more comprehensive lists of education scholarships online, updated for 2020. With this said, many school districts and even individual schools provide scholarships or programs for heading back to continue your education as an educator. If you’re already in college, graduate school, or employed as a teacher, be sure to reach out to financial aid or human resources (if you’re already employed) to see what additional funding options may be available to you.
James Madison Memorial Fellowship Foundation
- up to 24000
- US Citizen, Teacher or Aspiring Teacher of US Government for Grades 7-12
- The James Madison Memorial Fellowship is a unique opportunity for teachers or aspiring teachers looking to improve their knowledge of the US Constitution as well as advance in the field. Current teachers looking to pursue an advanced degree as well as university students looking to pursue an advanced degree in History Education with a specialization in the U.S. Constiutution are encouraged to apply. All recipients must complete the 4 week Summer Instiute on the Constitution held in Washington D.C.
Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois
- up to 23000
- Be a High School Senior or 1st or 2nd year college student looking to become an educator in high need areas.
- The Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois is a scholarship program that aims to equip teachers with the tools necessary to address students’ academic and emotional needs. Aspiring teachers with a GPA of 2.5 and above are encouraged to apply. Recipients are then enrolled in a month-long program that takes place over the summer where scholars will learn how to manage a classroom and recognize the signs of childhood trauma.
Edward G. and Helen A. Borgens Elementary and Secondary Teacher Education Scholarships
- Undergraduate or Graduate Student
- The Daughters of the American Revolution are offering multiple scholarships to students in a variety of education disciples including Special Education, Music Education, Science, Math, Horticulture and More.
The Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program
- Four Year Colleges or Two Year Colleges fully accredited and located in the US
- This scholarship is made possible by the National Science Foundation. The aim of the program is to inspire and equip the future generaiton of STEM teachers in grades K-12.
Graduate Scholarship Programs
- A Member of the JCC ready to renroll in a gradate program.
- The JCC Graduate Scholarhip is a great opportunity for JCC members or future JCC members to advance their career with the JCC. Recipients are expected to complete 2 years of work with the JCC and along with the 10,000 scholarship will be given mentorship opportunities as well as assistance finding and securing employment.
Prospective 7-12 Secondary Teacher Course Work Scholarships
- College Sophmores Intending to Teach Secondary Mathmatics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics aims to provide financial support to students whose career goal is to become certified secondary school (grades 7-12) teachers.
Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program
- Teacher Candidates in the state of Virginia attended an accredited 4-year or 5-year institution.
- The Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program aims to provide financial aid to tea
Charles Butt Scholarship for Aspiring Teachers
- Attending one of ten Texas-based universities as an aspiring teacher.
- This scholarship, part of the Raising Texas Teachers Initiative offers an $8,000 a year scholarship for up to four years for qualified individuals attending 10 universities throughout Texas. Close to 500 global future educators are chosen for this award each year.
Judy Lindman Memorial Scholars Forgivable Loan Award for High School Seniors
- Work in a child care or early childhood education role and be attending a Minnesota college or university
- This scholarship is offered to students in early childhood education (or related topics) attending an accredited college or university within Minnesota. Students must be pursuing associates or bachelor’s degrees in education fields related to early childhood. Recipients should work in early childhood education settings already and be furthering their education.
Kansas Teacher Service Scholarship
- Hold a teacher license in Kansas, attending a Kansas-based university, and be pursuing a degree which leads to certification in a “”hard-to-fill”” academic area.
- This service scholarship program allows current or future teachers studying at the bachelor’s or master’s levels to become educators in hard-to-fill disciplines the chance to recieve scholarships for up to 10 years of schooling. In return, teachers must occupy a public or private teaching position within 6 months of graduation and continue teaching for as long as they recieved the scholarship award.
Christa McAuliffe Teacher Incentive Program
- Residents of Delaware enrolled in a teaching program at a Delaware college
- This service scholarship program allows Delaware residents who seek to become educators in hard-to-fill roles to recieve $5,000 a year scholarships for up to 4 years. In return, recipients may elect to have any debt forgiven by working for one year as a public school teacher for each year they recieved the scholarship.
Minority Teacher Education Scholarship (MTES)
- Minority education student at a Florida university
- This service scholarship is available to minority students pursuing teaching degrees at over 35 institutions within Florida. Students are eligible for tuition relief if they are willing to work for one year as a teacher for each year they recieve the reward.
The Mikkelson Foundation Student Scholarship Program
- Graduate of Colorado high school
- This scholarship is available for one year of study for students pursuing a STEM field (potentially to become an educator). Merit and need taken into consideration when deciding on recipients.
Mathematics Course Work Scholarships for Grades Pre-K-5 Teachers
- Licensed K-5 educators
- This grant is for the support of current K-5 grade educators who would like enhance their understanding of mathematical concepts through continued undergraduate or graduate non-degree study. Recipients may use the grant money to subsidize their expenses in higher education courses in math and math pedagogy.
Mathematics Graduate Course Work Scholarships for Grades 6-8 Teachers
- Licensed 6-8th grade teachers
- This grant is open to any licensed 6-8th grade teacher who is a member of NCTM (or whose school is) and who would like to further their education in mathematical concepts through individual courses. Recipients may submit a proposal for why they feel additional courses would help their students’ outcomes.
Lutheran Scholastic and Service Scholarships
- Active member of Lutheran Congregation
- This scholarship is available to junior or senior-year students pursuing degrees in fields related to those with intellectual or developmental disabilities. Students should be of good standing and regularly attend a Lutheran church.
Professional Development Scholarship Emphasizing History, Number Theory, and Discrete Mathematics
- 6-12th grade licensed math teacher
- This grant is available to licensed mathematics teachers who would like to expand their understanding of mathematical history, number theory, or discrete mathematics. Applicants should submit a explanation of how individual courses will aid them in being better mathematics educators.
Prospective Middle School Mathematics Teacher Course Work Scholarships
- Junior year education student
- This scholarship provides funding for one junior year education student who has the aim of becoming a middle school mathematics teacher. Applicants should walk the committee through what remaining mathematics coursework they need to complete and may use the scholarship for a variety of education-related expenses.
Educational Administration Scholarship
- Current graduate students in educational administration
- This scholarship is available to applicants who are presently excelling at a graduate program in educational administration. Students must provide a recommendation from the Chair of their School of Education.
Jack Kinnaman Scholarship
- NEA members
- This scholarship is available to those who are active in local, state, or national level NEA events. Potential recipients should explain how NEA has changed their time teaching as well as how they are active in the organanization.
Leon Bradley Scholarship
- Education or education paraprofessional student in their final year
- Thic scholarship is offered to individuals in the final year of their education before licensure as well as education paraprofessionals in their final year of academic preparation. Both awards only available to minority applicants.
Mike Lozano Scholarship
- Graduating seniors intending to study education
- This scholarship is available to graduating high school seniors who plan to pursue degrees in education or coaching and coach or teach in public schools after graduation.
Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Teachers for America’s Future – Graduate Scholarships
- Students pursuing STEM licensure in K-12
- This scholarship is open to all students seeking STEM licensure with graduate degrees. The scholarship is merit-based and competitive. Applicants must have completed a prior degree in a STEM subject.
UCT Scholarship Program
- Variety of eligibility criteria
- This scholarship is available to a wide set of individuals who currently work, are experienced in another area of education and would like to work, or are working on degrees to help those with intellectual disabilities.
AASEA Legacy Scholarship
- Current students in studies related to intellectual disabilities
- This scholarship is available to current students wishing to work in public school settings in the state of Arkansas — or who already work in the state of Arkansas — and who are pursuing degrees in a wide range of disciplines including early childhood education, speech pathology, special education, and others.
AASEA Memorial Scholarships
- Junior, senior, or graduate-level students in a variety of SPED subjects
- This scholarship gives preference to current residents and current teachers in Arkansas schools. Those in their final two years of undergraduate study, or graduate study in a range of special education topics are eligible to apply.
Barbara Lotze Scholarship
- High School Seniors, College Students enrolled at an accredited college or university
- This scholarship gives preference to students who are United States citizens with high achievement in the study of physics education and who are intending to pursue a career in physics education in the United States.
Bishop Charles P. Greco Graduate Fellowships
- Graduate Students who are Members of the Knights of Columbus
- The Knights of Columbus seek to support students enrolled full-time in a Master’s Degree program for students with learning disabilties.
Pi Lambda Theta Student Support Scholarships
- Prospective Students and Members of Pi Lambda Theta
- This is an educational scholarship for students and members of Pi Lambda Theta who are looking to pursue a career in the field of education
Scholarship and Enrichment Program
- Students Pursuing a Special Education Degree
- This scholarship seeks to financially support students who are looking to pursue a degree or advanced degree in the field of special education particularly students involved with person with Down Syndrome and related disabilities.
The Agnes Jones Jackson Scholarship
- US Citizens and Members of the NAACP
- The NAACP seeks to award full-time students showing academic success a one-time scholarship in support of students of color looking to pursue a degree and career in the field of education.
CCLD Literacy Interventionist Scholarship
- Colorado residents enrolled in a teacher training program
- This scholarship aims to award Colorado residents looking to pursue a career as a literary interventionist specialist. Candidates will either be working towards a degree or a certification.
Dr. Marc Hull Special Education Leadership Scholarship
- Vermont Resident and US Citizen or eligible US Citizen
- This is a special education scholarship for residents of Vermont who are pursuing a degree in special education either part-time or full-time. Students may receive one or more scholarships.
Future Teachers Scholarship
- Residents of the State of Oklahoma with a GPA of 2.5 and above.
- With this scholarship the state of Oklahoma looks to award education studetns pursuing a degree and certification in a critical shortage area in the state of Oklahoma.
Music Education Scholarship for Graduate Students
- Members of the Sigman Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity
- This award is presented to individuals who have completed a bachelor’s degree in music and who is looking to puruse an advanced degree either a master’s or a PhD in music education.
Teacher Education Scholarships
- 3.5 GPA or above
- This award is presented to students who are high academic achievers looking to pursue a career as a teacher in either primary or secondary education.
The Ruth Crymes TESOL Fellowship for Graduate Study
- TESOL Members whos are Graduate Students
- The purpose of this award is to support graduate students involved in ESOL education who are looking to work on a graduate ESOL study project.
The Rudolph Dillman Memorial Scholarship
- Undergraduate or Graduate Student
- This scholarship offered by the American Foundation for the Blind is offered to those working on undergraduate or graduate degrees related to the rehabilitation or education of those with blindness.
Aspiring Educator Scholarship
- Enrolled in an accredited University and be a Junior, Senior, or Graduate student pursing a degree in the field of Special Ed.
- The aspiring educator scholarship program looks to serve teachers aiming to pursue a career in the field of special education and are pursuing a degree in a related field such as occupational thearpy, speech and language pathology, learning disabled, and more.
Bright Futures Scholarship Program
- Early Childhood Education Professionals
- The Bright Futures Scholarship aims to support individuals aiming to pursue a career in early childhood education specifically students ages 6 and below. The scholarhip goes directly to the support of a student’s eduation via books, laptops and other education-related supplies.
Carl J. Megel Special Education Scholarship
- Enrolled in a program for students with developmental disabilities and related disorders.
- Son or Daughter of parent who is a member of the Illinois Federation of Teachers or sponsored by an individual who is a member of the IFT are encouraged to apply. The scholarship aims to support students pursuing a degree in the field of special education with a focus on students with autism, deafness, blindness, cognitive disability, and other related disorders.
Delta Kappa Gamma Recruitment Grant Scholarship Fund
- Female Ventural County Resident
- This scholarship is a for females of Ventura County who are looking to pursue a career in teacher education.
Edward & Lorraine O’Neill Scholarship Fund
- resident of Barnstable County, MA (Cape Cod) who is a high school graduate or college student aiming to work with children or adults with developmental disabilities
- The Arc of Cape Cod looks to support students who are either high schoo seniors or college students looking to apply to programs and work with children with developmental disabilities either as a teacher or as a therapist.
Frank Kazmierczak Memorial Migrant Scholarship
- Child of a Migrant Worker
- The Frank Kazmierczak Memorial Scholarship seeks to support students who are children of a migrant worker looking to work as teachers.
Fulgham – Fulghum Scholarship
- High School Seniors who have been accepted into a college or university
- Priority is given to students who have been accepted into a college or univerity and who are aiming to pursue a career in a high need area such as education, social services, or nursing.
Future Journalism Teacher Scholarships
- Education Majors intending to teach Scholastic Journalism
- The Journalism Education Association aims to give college juniors, seniors and graduate students who are looking to puruse a career in secondary school level scholastic journalism education. Individuals who are currently teachers in the field and who are looking to advance their knowledge through a graduate degree are also encouraged to apply.
Isabel M. Herson Scholarship in Education
- High School Seniors, Undergradutes, and Graduate Females
- If you have an acceptionally high GPA (3.5 or above) then this scholarship is right for you. It is available to all students pursuing higher education and particularly students involved in STEM subjects.
Janice S. Jones Scholarship Fund
- Students enrolled at a college who are members of the AAEE
- The American Association for Employment in Education has created the Janice S. Jones Scholarship Fund that seeks to fund students who are going to fill the gap in education and become a teacher in an area of critical need.
Nancy Larson Foundation College Scholarship
- College Students Studying to Become Elementary Teachers
- The Nancy Larson Foundation was started to support individuals aiming to puruse a career in education. Nancy Larson was herself an elementary math teacher.
- Undergrad or Grad Student attending a US 4 year institution pursing a teaching degree.
- This scholarship aims to award financial support to black and indigenous people of color who are looking to pursue a career in the field of education. Candidates must demonstrate a desire to teach and give proof of leadership capabilities.
The Applegate-Jackson-Parks Future Teacher Scholarship
- Graduate or Undergraduate Students Majoring in Education
- The award is in response of the incident that took place in Michigan where three teachers were fired simply because they did not pay their union fees. Recepients will have demonstrated a knowledge of the imporatance of volunteer union membership, demonstrated eagerness to become an educator and ability to lead in their community.
The Delta Gamma Foundation Florence Margaret Harvey Memorial Scholarship
- U.S. Citizens or Naturalized Citizens, Students Who are Legally Blind
- The American Foundation for the Blind seeks to offers financial assistance to individuals who are pursuing a career in the rehabilitation or education of people who are blind or are visually impaired.
William A. Crawford Minority Teacher Scholarship
- Ethnic Minorities and Residents of Indiana
- This scholarship aims to support students whose goal is to puruse a degree of study that leads to employment in the areas of education. Students will be ethnic minorities (Black or Hispanic) enrolled full-time in a school in Indiana.
- Septemberr 1
- Students in Hawaii enrolled in early childhood education coursework
- PATCH aims to assist indiviuals looking to further their education in the field of early childhood education.Those currently employeed in a licensed childcare facility are given priority.
Carroll C. Hall Memorial Scholarship
- Leaders of Tau Kappa Epsilon
- The aim of the scholarship is to support men who are looking to become leaders in their community. The chapter is looking for students who are already demonstrating leadership qualities and potential in their local chapters.
AAE Teacher Scholarship
- Teachers Looking For Professional Development Opportunities
- The Association of American Educators aims to award these classroom grants to teachers who are looking for professional development via conferences services and other PLCs.
Bill Oban Special Education Scholarship
- North Dakota United Members
- North Dakota United Members
Edwyna Wheadon Postgraduate Training Scholarship
- Current teachers in the ELA subject areas and members of the NCTE
- This award is for ELA teachers who are looking to advance their degree or career through profesional development either with an additonal teaching endorsement, PCL or advanced degree.
Florence E. Potts Memorial Foundation Scholarship
- Graduating High School Students with a Documented IEP
- The purpose of this award is to support students with a documented IEP who are looking to attend a trade school community college or university. Students who are currently enrolled with a declared major in education are also welcome to apply.
Inspire Our Future Scholarship
- Prospective Teachers or Current Teacher Furthering Their Education
- If you are looking to either initiate or advance your career as a teacher try this scholarship opportunity available through Teacher.org. The program offers $500 as assistance towards education or furthering education expenses.
Mary Cripps Special Education
- North Dakota United Members
- Multiple scholarship opportunities for students pursuing a career in education located in the state of North Dakota.
Rosa Aronson TESOL Professional Learning Scholarships
- TESOL Professional who resides in a county that has a gross national income less than $15,000 per capita.
- The Rosa Aronson award is an international award that aims to give financial support to individuals who are citizens of underserved countries. The award’s purpose is to offer professional learning opportunities for these indivials who wish to attend conferences, symposiums, summits, etc.
- Students or Teachers Purusing a Course of Study To Become a teacher.
- These scholarships go straight into your pocket and are awarded to students or teachers who are looking to become teachers.
Academic Degree Scholarship
- Work 15 or more hours per week in the field of Early Childhood Education, and be enrolled in an Early Childhood Education Program in Idaho
- This academic scholarship seeks devoted educators and students heavily involved in the field of early childhood eduction. The opportunity focuses on individuals looking to advance in the field of early childhood education.
Billye Suber Aaron Legacy Scholarship
- Full-Time College Sophmore with a Minimum GPA of 2.5
- The Billye Suber Aaron Legacy Scholarship is a renewable need-based scholarship for students who attend the following institutions: Clark-Atlanta University, Spelman College, Morehouse College, or Texas College. All students with a qualifying GPA are a demonstrated academic need are encouraged to apply.
NAEYC Lasting Legacy Scholarship
- Early Childhood Education Professionals
- The NAEYC’s Lasting Legacy Scholarship offers 10 scholarships to aspiring Early Childhood Education professionals. Recipients are offered free admission to the NAEYC’s Annual Conference.
T.E.A.C.H Earlychildhood Minnesota
- Must be either working at an early childhood education center or working at an early childhood education center to be eligible for these scholarships
- Two scholarships for either Early Childhood Education Career professionals or educators who are looking to advance in their career through higher education. If you
Janice Paige Hughes Special Education Scholarship
- Delaware County Residents Studying Full-Time in College in the State of Indiana who are majoring in education with a specialization in special education.
- Janice Paige Hughes Special Education Scholarship seeks to equip aspiring special education teachers by providing financial funding during the later half of their academic education which may roll over to their graduate years of study.
Agnes Jones Jackson Scholarship
- BIPOC students enrolled in accredited university or college in the United States with a minimum GPA of 2.5
- The Agnes Jones Jackson sccholarship seeks to honor students of color in the United States with a demonstrated financial need. Candidates may be aspiring students or current students not above the age of 25. High school seniors and graduate students are welcome to apply.
Biology Educator Leadership Scholarship (BELS)
- Work and or pursuing education to become a biology or related educator type
- NABT facilitates a range of scholarship awards for educators and future educators in biology, ecology, and life sciences. Depending on the scholarship, recipients may recieve funding for professional development, to travel for conferences, to pay for textbooks or living expenses, or to pay for tuition.
Gates Millenium Scholar
- Black, Indiginous, Hispanic People of Color
- The Gates Millenium Scholarship has been funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in an aim to address growing diversity trends and disparities seen among black and indigenous people groups in the United States.Scholars in the fields of computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health or science are encouraged to apply.