A career in Healthcare Administration is a great choice for someone who wants to make a difference in the medical world without direct patient involvement. As a Healthcare Administrator, you’ll learn how to manage a healthcare facility from behind-the-scenes, as well as how to navigate the many regulations that govern the healthcare industry. And since Healthcare Administrators earn a median pay of $99,730, you’ll have high earning potential throughout your career as well.
After earning your Healthcare Administration degree, some of the places you’ll be able to find work include:
- Nursing Homes
- Specialty Clinics
- Rehabilitation Facilities
- Insurance Companies
Is an online Healthcare Administration degree a good investment?
In recent years, online degree programs have greatly increased in popularity. In fact, many of the top Healthcare Administration graduate programs are now available entirely online. Many students have some reservations about attending an online-only program, but it’s a great way to save time and money while earning your degree from a respected university.
However, it’s important to consider the costs before committing to a degree program. But the good news is that since the Healthcare Administration field is projected to grow 18% by 2028, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to find a job after graduation. Over the course of the program, you’ll learn valuable business and management skills that will make it much easier to find employment. You’ll become very familiar with the healthcare world as well.
Many of the top Healthcare Administration programs can be quite expensive, but fortunately, they sometimes offer competitive scholarship programs. But even if you don’t qualify for scholarships, there are plenty of affordable Master’s in Healthcare Administration programs. But regardless of short-term costs, an online Master’s in Healthcare administration is a great way to get a head-start on a rewarding career.
What are the benefits of an online Healthcare Administration degree?
Since Healthcare Administration programs are heavily focused on business and finance, they translate well to distance learning. As a student, you’ll enjoy many perks if you choose to study the field from the comfort of your home.
Here are some benefits of an online Healthcare Administration degree:
- Being able to attend class anytime, anywhere is a major advantage: Anyone who lives out in the country knows what a hassle it can be to drive to campus every day. And for working students, not having to commute to campus is a massive bonus as well. While on-campus students have to be in a classroom at a set time every week, online students enjoy the flexibility of being able to catch up on lectures whenever it’s convenient. That’s why online degree programs are especially useful for students with full-time jobs or families.
- Online courses will save you a lot of money: Since online students don’t have to pay for meal plans, dorms, or lab and activity fees, earning your degree online is often much cheaper than on-campus. You’ll even save money on commuting to class every day, which will add up to a tidy sum over the course of the semester.
- You’ll build necessary computer skills: As a Healthcare Administrator, you’ll need to be comfortable using the internet. From Skype calls with colleagues to researching the latest policies, you’ll probably be spending a good chunk of your day online at your future job. This is another way your online classes will work to your advantage: Future employers will realize that you’ve spent a lot of time on the computer over the past few years, and they may even assume you’re a step above the other candidates because of your online degree.
- Your writing skills will greatly improve: Most Healthcare Administrators spend a lot of time doing administrative work, which means they need to be highly proficient at writing. Luckily, your online classes will sharpen your writing skills on a daily basis. You’ll be expected to participate in text-based discussions with other students, and you’ll spend a lot of time browsing forums and writing research papers. This will ensure you’ll already be a pro when it’s time to write your first grant or policy amendment on the job.
What are the disadvantages of an online Healthcare Administration degree?
Even though online programs offer many exciting perks, some students are more comfortable in an on-campus environment. If you’re the type of student who benefits greatly from face-to-face interaction, online learning may not be right for you.
Here are some disadvantages of an online Healthcare Administration degree:
- Online students may face difficulties finding internships: Unfortunately, one of the biggest downsides of earning your online degree is the lack of internship opportunities. And since real-world work experience is such an important part of a successful career in Healthcare Administration, this may be a red flag for potential employers. Even if your online program doesn’t require an internship or residency for your online degree, be sure to contact Healthcare Administrators in your community and inquire about internship opportunities. Hospitals, nursing homes, and hospices are all excellent places to begin your search.
- Making local connections can be a challenge: Another disadvantage of online learning is the lack of opportunities to form local connections. At most schools, on-campus students will have the chance to participate in networking events and job fairs. But as an online student, these opportunities are much harder to come by. Be sure to take matters into your own hands and keep an eye out for local job fairs and events: If you live in a larger city, there may even be healthcare-specific job fairs that you can check out. Even a passing connection with an administrative professional can lead to an amazing job opportunity down the road!
Will employers respect my online Healthcare Administration degree?
In recent years, many employers have embraced online classes as a key part of modern learning. As long as your Healthcare Administration degree is earned from a reputable school, you’ll have no problem competing with on-campus students. Be sure to choose a program from a school with an on-campus location, such as George Washington University.
If you’re worried about standing out from the competition, remember to research local internships and make connections with healthcare professionals in your area. The only way an online degree can set you back is by limiting internship opportunities, but you’ll be able to put employers’ concerns at ease by finding internships in your area.
With a bit of research and determination, you’ll be able to find an online degree that will increase your lifetime earning potential and supercharge your career. Although all schools have different Master’s in Healthcare Administration requirements, rest assured that the perfect program for you is out there!
Erica Ciko Campbell
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Biology| Utica College
Associate of Science (A.S.)| Herkimer County Community College
More Articles of Interest:
- Are There Any Completely Online Programs To Get My Master’s In Healthcare Administration?
- Do Most Master’s Programs in Healthcare Administration Require me to Take the GRE?
- Can I Get a Graduate Degree in Healthcare Administration if My Undergraduate Degree is Totally Unrelated?
- How Long Does it Take to get a Master’s in Healthcare Administration
- What is the Benefit of a Degree in Healthcare Informatics vs. Healthcare Administration?